PSU TREC Offers Student Study Abroad Opportunity in the Netherlands
Posted on February, 13th 2020
Student Study Abroad 2020: Sustainable Transportation in the Netherlands
Date: June 21 – July 4, 2020
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands and Surrounding Areas
This four-credit (CE 495 / 595) Portland State University course creates an immersive experience to explore the Dutch approach to cycling, transit, innovative mobility and land use. The curriculum will feature material that provides a comparison between U.S. and the Netherlands problems, priorities, and solutions. Specific emphases on planning and engineering principles, policy, and practice will be explored through field trips, tours and guest lectures, while visiting Utrecht, Amsterdam, Delft, and Houten. Students completing this course will develop a broader understanding of sustainable transportation issues and expand their toolkit for context-sensitive solutions. This study abroad program will examines how the urban areas and transportation systems of that nation have been designed to promote transportation by foot, bicycle, and public transportation. You’ll learn:
- Design of bikeways, safe pedestrian crossings, and transit systems;
- Urban expansion and land-use policies to promote travel by foot, bike, and public transport;
- Smart cities programs and projects;
- Roadway system design for safety and to prevent roads from becoming barriers to walking and cycling;
- and design for transit priority on roadways and for high-quality rail, tram, and bus service.
- No previous language study required.
The registration deadline is March 1, 2020.
For more information or to register, click here.