Upcoming webinar: On the Road Again — Engaging Students in Road Engineering Careers
Posted on August, 19th 2020
Time: 2-3:00pm ET
Cost: Some registrants will need to pay $95 to attend. Sign into MyTRB.org to view registration information.
Organization: Transportation Research Board
Sustaining and improving the highway network requires a well-trained and highly skilled workforce. TRB will host a webinar on Wednesday, September 16, 2020 from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM Eastern that will highlight successful programs and practices that have attracted people to careers in road maintenance, operations, and construction. Presenters will discuss how they have recruited students, women, minorities, veterans, disadvantaged groups, and career-switchers. They will also identify strategies for identifying partners and programs for transportation-related technical occupations with high demand and limited supply.
This webinar was organized by the TRB Standing Committees on Maintenance and Operations Management, and Workforce Development and Organizational Excellence. TRB’s video “Your Future in Transportation” can also be shared to engage students in potential transportation careers.
Webinar agenda and presenters
- Brief introduction to the problems faced in attracting workers to technical occupations: Stephanie Ivey, University of Memphis
- City as a model employer: Zakiyyah Ali & Michelle Brisbon: City of Philadelphia
- Women of Asphalt: Adriana Clark, Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization, U.S. Department of Transportation
- Construction inspector/Maintenance Technician Training Program: Cheryl Collins, Virginia Department of Transportation
- Question and answer session: Moderated by Stephanie Ivey, University of Memphis
The first 60 minutes of the webinar will be for presentations and the final 30 minutes will be reserved for audience questions.
At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Identify successful strategies for attracting students to technical occupations
- List key elements of successful programs
- Identify required partners (and their roles) in developing a successful program
For more information and to register: http://www.trb.org/main/blurbs/181042.aspx